This past Father's Day the hubby and I spent the day with my father-in law. We went out for an early dinner at the White Dog Cafe. Dinner was so Delicious but Dessert was Amazing! I decided to be adventurous and try the PB&J shortbread sandwiches. I wasn't really sure what to expect but I hoped for the best. I was so pleasantly surprised but I also LOVE pb&j normally. If you love pb&j then chances are you will enjoy this tasty treat. As you may have guessed it is very messy to eat but so worth it. It looked easy enough to make on my own so I gave it my best shot. The restaurant version definitely used very thin shortbread cookies but I was unable to find any that thin. You could always try to make your own, however I have done that in the past and controlling the thickness of the bread is pretty difficult. I went with Walker's shortbread highlanders. For a quick, fun and simple dessert give this recipe a try :)
Ingredients (makes 6)
- (2) 4.7 ounce boxes of shorbread ( I used Walkers highlanders)
- 1 pint of PB ice cream. (you can use chocolate PB flavor or plain PB ice cream)
- 3 tablespoons of your favorite jam, jelly or preserves. ( I used Wild Blueberry preserves)
- Lay out the bottom layer of shortbread for each sandwich.
- On a cutting board scoop out 6 healthy sized scoops of ice cream.
- Add a half tsp of the fruit spread to each scoop and fold the spread into the ice cream. ( I used a brownie cutter to fold)
- Once folded scoop the 6 individual scoops of ice cream onto the 6 pieces of shortbread
- Add 1 teaspoon of fruit spread to the top of each scoop of ice cream on the shortbread.
- Top each with the 2nd piece of shortbread to complete the sandwich.