Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pink Baby Shower - DIY Towel Cake & Cupcakes



This adorable little shower was perfect in its tiny details throughout every room.  The theme was pink mixed with animal prints requested by the mommy to be.  Her favorite of all is the Cheetah print.  You will see these prints incorporated throughout various party details and even gifts from the guests.  My crafty aunt was the wonderful host responsible for the lovely decor/food /fun.  In my attempt to help I decided to try a new project and make a towel cake which I had seen in the past and loved.  I was used to seeing diaper cakes at baby showers and thought I would change it up with baby towels and some washcloth cupcakes.  I used the towels and washcloths on the registry plus I purchased some extra white washcloths.  There was one fact that I didn't consider at first, which is that baby towels are very small and thin so even 8 was not suffice enough to make a 3 layer cake.  That is why you will notice in the DIY instructions below, that I incorporated regular bath towels.  Overall I think it turned out great and it is easily interchangeable for any party theme.
xo 
Jen
Favors - Different Shades of Essie nail polish with special photo in the center.

Now for the DIY Baby Towel Cake and Cupcakes!
You will need:
          Cake
  • 3 stackable cakes stands or one pedestal stand if stacking cake one on top of another.
  • 8 hooded baby towels
  • 3 regular bath towels (adult)
  • 2 hand towels
  • Decorative push pins
  • Ribbon of your choice
  • Cake topper (if preferred)

         Cupcakes (18)
  • 36 baby washcloths (contrast colors and/or prints)
  • paper baking cups (18)
  • push pins 
          Step 1 - Bottom Layer
         


          Step 2


          Step 3


Tip: try to avoid pinning the first and 2nd bath towel in the same spot.  It will be too thick if both towels end up pinned in the same spot.  The outer towel on each layer should be pinned as neatly as possible.

Step 4 - Middle Layer
Repeat steps 1-3 using only 3 baby towels and only 1 bath towel.

Step 5 - Top Layer
Repeat steps 1-3 using only 1 baby towel and 2 hand towels

Step 6 
Wrap ribbon of choice around each cake layer.

Cupcakes
Making the cupcakes is very simple. Here is a great video on how to make baby washcloth cupcakes.  This video uses only 1 washcloth per cupcake.  I used 2 cloths to make contrasting colors and to make the cupcake more of a traditional size.  I also used push pins instead of tape to secure the cupcakes.  Below is the finished product . Have fun making your own creation :)

7 comments:

  1. Love the tiger! Beautiful decorations! Yummy cupcakes!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these fun baby shower ideas! They turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful blog, I propose to follow each other)

    http://ulianna-life.blogspot.ru/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Essie nail polish favors, such a good idea, and those cupcakes look so good!
    Also, thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
    xo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's super cool! I've made tons of diaper cakes but, I make them of all diapers.
    That's amazing, I love your blog.
    I am your new follower.
    Thanks for visting my blog.
    Your visits make my days sweeter.
    Take me To Tarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so sweet and cute! Wonderful ideas! :)

    callmemaddie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone knows that pink baby shower is a clear indication of baby girl's arrival. My sister's bridal shower was in summers. Booked one of the luxurious halls from New York venues for the party. Almost all the cold food was ordered and serving items like pasta, salads, skewers were served in different bowls and platters.

    ReplyDelete

We would Love to hear from you!