I have been a bit on the emotional side when it comes to this season nearing a close. It's funny since Fall happens to be my most favorite time of year. Summer is almost up so drink up I say! It's time to enjoy those delicious drinks that exude Summer while you can. This cooler/cocktail would be oh so perfect for a Labor Day weekend soiree or just a night out on the patio with your girl friends. I obviously love how this drink tastes or I wouldn't share but also that it is so pretty in presentation and talk about refreshing! I guess you could even say it's healthy sans the vodka haha. There are so many options as far as garnish. I went the obnoxious route and chose to use gigantic watermelon slices but you can use a simple cucumber slice or swirl. To kick it up a notch in the refreshing department, you can also add a bit of mint. I first made it without the mint which was delicious. When I added the mint as a test, I really enjoyed the minty refreshing zing but I would say without the mint it is more of a calm Zen flavor with stronger notes of melon. Either way I promise it's very tasty.
- 6 cups cubed watermelon (about 1/2 of a medium sized watermelon)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and cubed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of honey
- 2/3 cup vodka
- 12 mint sprigs broken apart (optional)
- Cucumber or Watermelon slices for garnish
- In a blender or food processor puree the cubed watermelon. Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl or wide-mouthed pitcher. Pour the puree into the sieve over the bowl while firmly pressing downward with a wooden spoon or spatula (this will extract as much juice as possible). Repeat whole process with the cubed cucumber adding it to the watermelon juice. * If your blender is very large you can puree the watermelon and cucumber together to save time.
- Add lime juice to a small bowl or cup and stir in honey. Add to bowl of watermelon and cucumber juices.
- Stir in vodka
- Fill 4 glasses with ice and pour the juice mix over the ice of each glass. Stir in mint if you choose to add it. Add cucumber and/or watermelon slices to each glass as garnish. Enjoy :)